Ya Nanonote Specs --- was: A Few Things (Debian, Sharism)

nebajoth nebajoth at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 15:15:37 EDT 2010

I could entirely forego a larger screen if I had 3-4 LEDs in the case
somewhere to give me the blinking language spoken by denizens of
networking stacks.  I could pass entirely on USB, host or slave, if
there was good bluetooth support.  Paradigm shift time: lets leave
everything requiring a cable behind, and move straight into PANs.
Full-on bluetooth support would make it possible to start building up a
real Personal Area Network, and I wouldn't be averse to stuffing a wifi
module in my pocket, connected via bluetooth to the Ya.

If I had to make one change to the screen, it would be to increase its
horizontal dimension.  I couldn't care less about vertical, but I wish
to use the Ben/Ya as a way to access/edit configuration files and view
logfiles, and todo list items.

These are all "line-oriented" applications, wherein the discrete
functional unit is one line of text.  If I could make one improvement it
would be to allow these lines to appear on one visual row, rather than
being split over two or more for lack of space.  I can arrow up and
arrow down in a line buffer for vertical space and history, so I don't
care so much about that.  But we really need a little leg-room left and
right.