USBBOOT with Slackware - usbboot firmware binaries (xburst_stage#.bin)

Ernest Kugel erik.kugel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 18:24:19 EDT 2010

Hi all,

This is about flashing the Ben with Slackware, the Slackware way, and not
with Debian. The only difference is that there is no prepackaged
xburst-tools.

I was getting a 404 for all the binaries here:
http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/xburst-tools/downloads/
...so I decided to go from source. Slackware needed libconfuse, which was
easy to download (http://www.nongnu.org/confuse/) and compile. As mentioned,
the Qi page kept giving steady 404's for all binaries and Debian packages,
so I got the source from GIT ($ git clone git://
projects.qi-hardware.com/xburst-tools.git)

All worked great for building and installing everything except the firmware,
which cannot be built due to a lack of a mips assembler in Slackware's GCC
(understandably, slack is yet to target MIPS cores). Apparently, this is a
well known issue:

My questions are:
1. How can I build xburst-tools usbboot firmware without access to Debian's
Aptitude?
2. Where can I download xburst_stage1.bin and xburst_stage2.bin to re-flash
my Nanonote?
3. When will
http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/xburst-tools/downloads/ stop
throwing 404s?