Connecting Ben NanoNote to Internet via bridge on host and using udhcpc

Delbert Franz ddf at sonic.net
Tue Apr 27 17:36:34 EDT 2010

I'm following the instructions that I found in the archive for Friday,
March 19, 'New NanoNote user questions", for connecting the Ben to the
Internet, posted by Marc Zonzon.  My host is running Debian testing
and I got it to work but when I reboot, there seems to be a question
of changing MAC address on the Ben and even when that is manually
changed in /etc/config/network, there also seems to be a issue of the
sequence in which the various components are brought up.  I have it
working again, but I'm not sure what sequence made it work:)

One problem is that if a MAC address is hard coded in
/etc/config/network, then 'ifconfig usb0' will always show that address.
However, a check of the listing produced by 'dmesg' will show a MAC
address that changes at every boot of the Ben.  If these two addresses
differ, I fail to get a connection, and even if they are the same, I
sometimes have to reboot the host to get udhcpc on the BEN to ever
come back from its message about sending a discover command (or
something like that).

Anyone else had these problems?

                     Thanks
                        Delbert