SACK, robotics course, API and more

Xiangfu Liu xiangfu at sharism.cc
Thu Aug 5 05:59:48 EDT 2010

On 08/04/2010 12:42 PM, Erwin José Lopez Pulgarin wrote:
> Greetings
>
> My name is Erwin López and I am an Mechatronics engineer student in the
> Universidad Nacional de Colombia.
>
> I have been using the Ben Nanonote for about a year (we bought it with the
> help of Proffesor Camargo, the first ones to deliver) and it has been great.
> After the end of classes, I began working with the new image of openwrt and
> I must congratulate you, you have done a long way since the beginning of the
> distribution for the Ben Nanonote, and also for the Debian porters, whose
> job has being great -the new Jlime distribution cannot be left behind, it is
> very flexible and a very good idea and complement for the BNN distributions
> family-
>
> Now, with the help of professor Camargo, we -the students group CEIMTUN,
> which I am the General Coordinator- are working with the SACK platform to
> give an introductory course of embebed systems using the SACK platform[1].
> The purpose of this is to attract participants to the V Concurso Nacional de
> Robótica Móvil UNROBOT 2010 [2] and to introduce this development platform
> to a broader audience. The final project in the course will be the
> development of a mobile robotic platform guided by GPS, that must move to a
> set of coordinates in order (similar to the GPS category for this years
> robotics contest).

Hi Erwin

cool. if you need to setup a project in projects.qi-hardware.com. just let us know :)
(I don't know much about design such device. so what kind of software you use to design
  such device. just curious)

one question: all of the design file will open like Nanonote. right?
like use CC-BY-SA. :)

> This brings some challenges, like a simple case to protect the SACK, the
> mobile platform (batteries, motors, H bridge) and the development of an
> programming API for the basic functions of the SACK (for this we are studing
> some posibilities using python for scripting and function calling and some
> grafical interface, like turtle art[3] and other graphical framework [4] [5]
> (like a list published by Professor Camargo some time ago).
>
> Soon I will be creating a page in the wiki to publish all the development in
> this subjects. [7]
>
> I share this with the community and wait for any comment on this. Colombia
> is full with talented people and we intend to show it.
>
> Maybe some contribution for the community would be some experience I had
> installing the toolchain for the Ben in my Linux Distribution (I use
> Archlinux [8] in x86-64 architecture). I added some simbolik links, in
> addition to the steps made in the wiki. -Any error when installing the
> toolchain is because missing links-.
>
> This are the steps i followed

some update in xburst-tools.
we have mv the autogen to the root of xburst-tools.
so for now to compile xburst-tools.

1. add opewnrt cross toolchian to PATH:
   PATH=/home/xiangfu/workspace/PanGu/openwrt-xburst/staging_dir/toolchain-mipsel_gcc-4.3.3+cs_uClibc-0.9.30.1/usr/bin:$PATH
   export PATH

2. git clone git://projects.qi-hardware.com/xburst-tools.git
3. cd /PATH/TO/xburst-tools/
4. ./autogen.sh
5. ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --enable-firmware
6. make
7. sudo make install

I found the compile xbusrt-tools from source not in wiki page:
  http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Xburst-tools
I will try to update this page later today. :)

> $ sudo git clone git://projects.qi-hardware.com/xburst-tools.git
> $ cd /PATH/TO/xburst-tools/usbboot
> $ ./autogen.sh
> $ sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
> $ sudo make clean
> $ sudo ln -s
> /PATH/TO/openwrt-xburst/staging_dir/toolchain-mipsel_gcc-4.3.3+cs_uClibc-0.9.30.1/usr/bin/mipsel-openwrt-linux-gcc
> /usr/bin
> $ sudo ln -s
> /PATH/TO/openwrt-xburst/staging_dir/toolchain-mipsel_gcc-4.3.3+cs_uClibc-0.9.30.1/usr/bin/mipsel-openwrt-linux-ld
> /usr/bin
> $ sudo ln -s
> /PATH/TOopenwrt-xburst/staging_dir/toolchain-mipsel_gcc-4.3.3+cs_uClibc-0.9.30.1/usr/bin/mipsel-openwrt-linux-objcopy
> /usr/bin
> $ sudo ln -s
> /PATH/TO/openwrt-xburst/staging_dir/toolchain-mipsel_gcc-4.3.3+cs_uClibc-0.9.30.1/usr/bin/mipsel-openwrt-linux-objdumbp
> /usr/bin
> $ make
> $ sudo make install
>
> Also, to change the boot logo in openwrt, I did it the long way and changed
> the kernel patch that openwrt had, basically changing this file, using GIMP
> to change the format of an image to ppm, replacing the text in the patch
> with the one in the ppm (basically numbers), changing the patch limits of
> file and compiling, and voila! If this is helpful for anyone I could post it
> in the wiki in a more detailed manner.

you can update this wiki page:)
  http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Customizing_OpenWrt_Boot_Logo

> Also, for the robotics contest [1]  we would like to use, at least for the
> embebed course, the QI logo in our publicity, is there any problem? Also, we
> can offer you some kind of space for a conference, seminar, workshop, or
> even printed info about QI hardware and their products and projects, to help
> the project in some way, for making Qi Hardware some kind of sponsor. Any
> help on this and other matter will be very well received  :)
>
> I will be waiting for comments.
>
> [1] http://www.ceimtun.unal.edu.co/unrobot/2010/curso.html
> [2] http://www.ceimtun.unal.edu.co/unrobot
> [3]
> <http://en.qi-hardware.com/images/thumb/d/dd/Board_layout.png/500px-Board_layout.png>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Turtle_Art
> [4]
> http://llk.media.mit.edu/projects/cricket/doc/help/logoblocks/startingwithlogoblocks.htm
> [5] http://www.ni.com/labview/
> [6] http://blogs.wsd1.org/etr/files/browserloop2.png
> [7] http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/UNROBOT_SACK_embebed_course
> [8] http://www.archlinux.org/

the like [3] give me:
The requested URL /images/thumb/d/dd/Board_layout.png/500px-Board_layout.png was not found on this server.

--
Best Regards
Xiangfu Liu