New 'joe' package

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Mon Aug 2 07:41:06 EDT 2010

David,

> But I think we have a basic problem with feeds that are used for
> openwrt-xburst.  There is no clean way to branch and patch packages from
> the feeds!  Having to copy and rename every package that we wish to

Well I don't think we want to fork all packages and turn them all into
qi??? packages. Not sure that's what you want, also like I said I don't
know the details of joe and why qijoe is necessary. Is qijoe installed
in addition to joe? Or does it replace joe? Can we send our patches upstream?

> the feeds!  Having to copy and rename every package that we wish to
> patch feels unclean and uncomfortable, and makes creating patches for
> upstream difficult (since the changed name occurs multiple times in the
> Makefile).

Sure so let's not rename the package.

> The only clean solution to that problem would be to create a branch on
> qi-hardware.com for all feeds referenced in feeds.conf.default, and
> change feeds.conf.default to use the branches.

Sounds very scary, I don't think we want that.

> Many of the openwrt feeds are svn repositories, but AFAIR git can use
> svn as an upstream source (or was that bazar??).
> what do you think?

Let's see whether the OpenWrt experts speak up. In general we should branch
as little as possible, IMHO.

Wolfgang