(Dev stuff) USB cable quality

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 12:58:13 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 04:16:07PM +0000, Satanid Satanid wrote:
> Hi list :)
>
> I followed the links to Hans Bezemer's review, where he says that:
>
> "First thing you have to consider is that the USB cable is of special
> quality. Unless you're sure you've bought a state of the art cable,
> don't use another cable in connection with the Ben Nanonote. "
>
> There's something about some USB cables causing problems on the wiki as well, I think it's in one of the usbboot pages. Can I ask what known issues there are with USB cables, exactly? I have three or four different ones all tangled up on my desk at the moment, so I can't remember which one came with the Ben (though I'm sure I'll find an image online if I look).

I've been having troubles flashing the u-boot part of the NAND flash using the
cable coming with the Ben (which has short length).
I tried another cable I had around, and I had the same problems.
Finally I used a USB-2.0 hard disk cable (so, I expect it manufactured quite
well for the data transfer speeds of the HD), and it worked perfectly.

Notice that I could flash fine all but the first pages of the NAND (those of
u-boot) with all the cables. Only the 'good' cable allowed me to flash the
uboot.

(Thanks to #qi-hardware at freenode.net for the assistance, btw)