Uses for the Ben Nanonote

Hans Bezemer thebeez at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 11 02:09:37 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 11 August 2010, discussion-request at lists.en.qi-hardware.com
> There should be tons of work already done for the Dingoo, which uses a
> similar Ingenic mipsel chip, which we can use on the Ben with little to
> no configuration.
>
> http://www.dingux.com/
>
> They have a different keyboard layout (having a controller-pad type
> addition to support its use as a retro gaming platform).  We should
> indeed adapt this to the free-er platform of the BNN.
I read about that a lot but when I approached a project I got:

Comment #1 on issue 37 by djdron: A version for the Ben Nanonote, perhaps?
http://code.google.com/p/unrealspeccyp/issues/detail?id=37

Hello) It's quite different from Dingoo A320 Native OS :-)
Maybe one day.. When the Ben Nanonote install base grows...

Ignorence?

> The configurations aimed not at learners, but at competent programmers
> who just want a mobile tool, should have a coherent user experience that
> is as reminiscent of old-school 1980s hacker movies as possible, in my
> opinion.  Hackers banging out C code on a tiny little device want it to
> look as scary and badass as something the size of a woman's compact
> mirror can.  Face it, we all feel pretty cool when we show these things
> to our friends.  Let them see us on the bus, staring into an
> Atari-coloured screen, blinking cursors and blankspace, punching out
> strings of code.  Because that's how we roll.
Although I like small functions, you quickly lose overview on this machine.
All these special characters don't help either. To my surprise I had no such
problems while punching out proza, obviously because the amount of special
characters is smaller. I tend to hold it like an Atari gamepad, using my
thumbs to type. So, in short I think its use for programming is limited. Of
course, while hooked up under ssh, there is no such problem.

> I find this idea intriguing.  This could be especially useful to systems
> administrators who herd more computers than the average nerd.  A further
> evolution of this could be an all-around rescue system.  I seem to
> recall someone talking about using the Nanonote as if it were a USB
> drive, and booting other computers off it.  It would be interesting to
> add this functionality to this device configuration, should it be
> feasible.  We could leverage the work on Billix
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/billix/).
Me too. The longer I was thinking about this one, the more uses came to me. I
could see a bunch of Nanonotes in the drawer of a sysop, ready to be hooked
up as an emergency webserver ("This site is experiencing problems"), network
device, rescue tool (good suggestion!), console, etc. I could see every sysop
having one in his pocket. Even at $150 this is a REALLY good deal! You could
buy a carload of these things without a manager even blinking his eyes. And
the thing seems rugged enough for everyday use.

> Have you tried screen?
Didn't think of it! Will it work with graphic screens or is that to me to find
out? ;-)

Hans

--
"First make it work, then improve it."