Uses for the Ben Nanonote

jirka jirka at penguin.cz
Wed Aug 11 13:21:03 EDT 2010

Hello,

> The software distribution could come with a shell script (or better) to
> convert movies to the Nanonote display. It should be a no-brainer.
Insert

There is already a convertor for Maemo devices:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/mediaconverter/
It probably can be used for our purposes, too.
Or something like this: http://www.transcoder.org/

> Nuff said. If we had it, we would cover almost the entire range of
legacy
> machines.

And how about "simh"?  ;-)

> Ad (5) PDA++
> - Abiword (missing)

It's probably impossible. You will end with problems of oversized dialogs,
memory usage,
lot of dependencies etc.

> - Gnumeric (missing)

The same as Abiword, I think. It may be usable for basic work but it is
really not designed for
so small screen (I have used the Gnumeric on the Nokia 770 and N800 with
800x400 and it
really hasn't been comfortable).

The "sc" can do near all the basic work and it is already available (you
can import CSV data into sc
or even XLS file with use of the "xls2csv" tool). Export from sc to CSV is
also possible,

> - Todo list (missing)

It's probably bit geeky but you can use "todo.sh" (http://todotxt.com) or
other command line tool.

And for calendar you can have gcal, Remind, Calcurse...

> - Jots (missing)

It is something for writing notes? How about HNB (http://hnb.sf.net)? It's
already available.

> - eReader (available?)

Surely there is something available. Also the Plucker Viewer can be
compiled (and works) but it has some issues.

> It would be worth if we could at least switch between tasks. I haven't
> figured
> out how to examine my 4tHmanual.pdf with Nupdf and switch to another
> console
> to apply that knowledge. I don't know if that's possible (or feasable
> within
> 32 MB) but it woul help.

Try Ctrl+Alt+1 or Ctrl+Alt+2 (if you have more than one virtual console in
the "/etc/inittab").
Between text consoles you can switch with with Alt+1, Atl+2 etc. Your
Nupdf probably will
be accessible with Atl+6 or somethiong similar.

I do this regularily and it works well for me (I ofter run something like
Bash + Vim + at least two Linkses
+ HNB + sdcv dictionary and I see no problems with memory).

It will probably work with Gtk+ applications, too. But you can not use
this with Qt applications
(like the great NanoMap).

jirka