SACK, robotics course, API and more

Carlos Camargo cicamargoba at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 09:51:48 EDT 2010

Hi

Is time to start to work on robotics API. I'm reading about Lua and looks a
good option for implement our API.
Is necessary define the HW and SW architecture for this. I think that we
must have a set of basic peripherals on FPGA for example:

- H-bridge controller
- Servo motor controller
- ADC controller (For sensors)
-Image Sensor Controller (I've already worked with this sensor [1])
- Digital inputs/outputs with a relative high current capacity

And form SW side we must have a HAL for drive them. From the processor point
of view, the FPGA peripherals are just address memories so, with a single
mmap we can can access and control it. Is possible access to physical
address from Lua?

I think that we can use a server/client architecture like player/stage
project [2] with the possibility to run the client on SIE and run the server
on any PC (x86) or on SIE.

I found this project [3] looks very good [7].  There is an interface for Lua
[4][5]. This project has BSD license [6]. Anyone work with ROS?
Maybe Erwin will study this project?

[1] http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8668
[2] http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROS_(Robot_Operating_System)