OpenWRT packages

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Sun Aug 29 00:02:40 EDT 2010

The openwrt-packages repository follows upstream openwrt rules, but
I can't tell you exactly what those are :-)
I always use Debian guidelines as a reference, if a package is
includable in Debian it should also be includable in OpenWrt,
OpenEmbedded, openwrt-packages, etc.

>  + What licenses are acceptable?

GPL and GPL compatible for sure. Free but GPL incompatible don't know,
maybe in userspace? Need to see upstream.

>  + Should a copyright notice be included in each package?

Yes definitely, I would think so.

>  + Should executables be stripped

Debian allows for the inclusion of binaries in some cases, as long
as the source code to produce those binaries exist.
We are trying to use this policy to get xburst-tools accepted as
a Debian package, so far without luck (because it has small XBurst
staging binaries inside that need to be cross-compiled).