Portable music player

Cristian Paul Peñaranda Rojas paul at kristianpaul.org
Wed Dec 1 21:15:38 EST 2010

> I could probably get away with 1, 2 and 3 if I tell them about Qi
> philosophy and how clam design protects the buttons and screen and I
> can probably make up some more excuses. ;)

 Check this too
 http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Why_make_and_sell_copyleft_hardware

> 4 is not so bad if not for 7. Then I could just say: these few
> buttons matter, ignore all the rest.
>
> Could the BNN boot faster if it only had to run gmu? Would not

Look what i did, was quick just to response the Mail so it could be
improved:

1. edit /etc/inittab

 #tty1::respawn:/usr/bin/gmenu2x
 tty1::respawn:/usr/bin/gmu

Comment and add line as showed, this in order start gmu as soon as
posible :)

I also commented

 #tty3::askfirst:/bin/ash --login
 #tty4::askfirst:/bin/ash --login

Not sure if really help

2. disable dropbear startup by default

 /etc/init.d/dropbear disable  (Yes i know people in the list may said,
 WHAT?, after this)

So if you need remote shell i added in

 /etc/profile

This alias:

 alias shell=' /etc/init.d/dropbear  start'

Then if later want shell just jump to the second tty (alt +f2)
and type shell :)

I think my nano still booting in same time than before.. well i dont
know how meaasure startup time.

Ahh last thing,

At irc had been discuss posible removal or uboot and just jump to linux,
that may reduce some seconds startup time.

So stay tuned !

> requiring the USB port matter for boot speed? Putting audio files
> directly on the SD card instead of via scp is easier for the
> non-technical user anyway.
 Totally Agree !

> I believe gmu has support for skins. Is there a skin that has bigger
> fonts, so that grandma can read which track she's playing?
>
> I suppose 7 is not solved by just another skin. I think a simpler
> interface comes down to either disabling some features (play/pause,
> skip and auto-load of everything on the SD card should be sufficient
> for a minimal player) or replacing some function keys with GUI
> elements.

Yes

> So, what's the potential of the BNN to make it a portable audio
> player and how much of these (and perhaps other) issues could be
> addressed? It'd be nice to not have to put the usual junk under the
> Christmas tree this year.

I agree with you in wich Ben can be a better music player (maybe fixing
fonts and makinng GMU more user friendly), but as you pointed before it
is not a hardware oriented to just a music player, Wikipedia Reader,
Dictionary are other applications

I'm dont know  if your requests can be achivied shortly, i just remenber
that the RockBox project [1] may have some development for porting
this software to the ben or at least its CPU [2].

[1] http://www.rockbox.org/
[2] http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IngenicJz47xx