Nanonote: Kernel panic-not syncing: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel

Xiangfu Liu xiangfu at sharism.cc
Thu Dec 2 02:14:02 EST 2010

Hi Delbert.

inline.

On 12/02/2010 01:01 AM, Delbert Franz wrote:
> On Sunday 28 November 2010, Xiangfu Liu wrote:
>> On 11/29/2010 09:21 AM, Delbert Franz wrote:
>>> 1.  The first partition contains the uImage from the toolchain compile
>>> and is stored under /boot.  It is called "uImage".
>>>
>>> 2.  The second partition contains the root file system taken by
>>> extracting from openwrt-xburst-qi_lb60-rootfs.tar.gz
>>
>> Hi Delbert
>>
>> since the last u-boot works fine with ext2 partition. so we decide put
>> the KERNEL and ROOTFS both in FIRST EXT2 partition.
>>
>> so you can try copy all rootfs file to first partition. then try again.
>>
>> BTW:
>> Please let me know which wiki page still tell users put rootfs to
>> second partition, it's out date, we definitely need update it. :)
>>

> Hi, Xiangfu,
>
> Thanks for the quick response--it is nice that the Ben has experts in
> different time zones!  This means while some are sleeping, others
> are active:)
>
> 1.  I did not find any wiki page that described either the old or new
> partition layout.  I think I got the old layout from the mailing list
> but I can't put my hand on the message now.  I just followed what I
> did before.
>
> 2.  I found almost nothing useful on the wiki about booting from a
> Micro SD card.  Perhaps I don't know how to look for it?

it's at http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Bootloader
we need make wiki more clear, welcome to update.

wiki updated: http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Building_Ben_NanoNote_software_from_source

> 3.  The package list for Debian on the wiki page is a bit
> dated for the Squeeze release:
>
>   3.1 jikes is no longer in Squeeze.  I got a build without it.
>
>   3.2 The package "mercurial" should be added to the list.
>       At least one of the download sites in the current toolchain
>       build process uses the mercurial version control system.
>       I also loaded some of the other "mecurial-xxx" packages
>       but I'm not sure they were needed.

added. I remember it's need by one package. "nlove",
it's PKG_SOURCE_PROTO:=hg

wiki updated : http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Ben_NanoNote_New_User_Guide#Mount_SD_Card

> 5.  The wiki page for disabling gmenu2x, reached from the "New User
> Guide", no longer applies to the latest released software images.  The
> file, S99startup is no longer present.  Go to /etc/inittab and modify
> the line for tty1 to have the same contents as tty2 and you will no
> longer see gmenu2x appear.  A simple return gets one into the command
> line on tty1.

yes. we think talk about this when next release come out :) since we talk
about that. I just update the wiki :
 http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Disable_Gmenu2x_autostart

> 6.  Having a system name of: BenNanonote, is a bit long for my taste.
> I fixed that by going into /etc/config/system and replacing
> "BenNanonote" with "nn" .  Note: the quotes DO NOT appear in the lines
> in the file-only here to set things off as a special string.

sound good.

> I now have two different variations of partioning working for the
> image I built.  One has a single large partition with everything in
> it.  The other has three partitions: rootfs with kernel, a small swap
> partition, and then a larger data partition.  I got swap activated on

so far, seems no one setup the swap in OpenWrt release. after you setup
the swap. if the system start to using that?  check that by 'htop'

> that card but I'm not sure if it is needed:) All of my SD cards are 8G
> B Transcend cards and they seem to work well and are reasonably fast
> being rated as Class 6.
>
> Just some observations based on about 10 hours of sorting out various
> problems.

very thanks for report.

>                         Delbert

Best Regards