Cases ? geek stuff ? marketing !

Sergey Kvachonok ravenexp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 07:16:46 EST 2010

On 12/7/10, Christoph Pulster <openmoko at pulster.de> wrote:

> My suggestion is to strenghten the cartridge idea as mentioned on the
> Wiki. Ready-to-use microSD cards with self-installing applications which
> make the "basis unit" to a Wikireader, retro gaming console, PDA etc.
>
> Christoph

Well, Nanonote doesn't really need cartridges, because space is not a
limiting factor anymore.
I can fit 4 times my desktop linux setup in a 16Gb SD card. As long as
you are using only free software there is no reason not to include it
in the distro.

The real problem is that there is still too few usable programs on
Nanonote, IMO. When I got mine in September it was practically bare
metal, and included gmenu2x setup is, well, useless. Still people do
find their ways to run their software on it, using openwrt build tools
or debian distro or gentoo or whatever. As a device for tinkerers it's
perfect, and should be marketed as such. It's real value is that a
whole setup is open and simple enough to be comprehended by a single
person, from schematics to the kernel to userspace programs, unlike
most "open mobile platform" bloatware.

Regards,
Sergey