NanoNote (Debian) sleep, removing pyneo, X keymap?

Niels Serup ns at metanohi.org
Wed Dec 8 09:24:02 EST 2010

> It has this pyneo software on it (the Debian image is from the pyneo
> website), which I'd like to remove since I don't know what it is or
> does. Is there a way I can remove it?
You could debootstrap Debian (or any other distribution). See
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Debootstrap (to remove the old image and
add the new one, just use usbboot, see
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Updating_Ben_with_usbboot )

> And, again, the keymap in X - is there a way to fix this? Is there a
> file I can replace, and one I can replace it with?
This is a little tricky, but this is how I made it work:

First, create a script (call it something like 'startx.sh'). This is the
script you will have to run to start X. Save this somewhere:

  #!/bin/sh
  . /etc/profile
  export DISPLAY=:0.0
  export HOME=/root
  # Start X
  Xfbdev -screen 320x240x32 r -rgba rgb -br -keybd \
      evdev,,device=/dev/input/event1,xkbmodel=pc105 &
  sleep 1
  # Hide the cursor
  unclutter -root -idle 1 &
  # Start window manager (ratpoison here, could be something else)
  ratpoison &
  sleep 2
  # Load keymap for modifier keys
  xmodmap /root/.Xmodmap

The standard pc105 xkbmodel will not work for this, which is why you
will have to create a file with xmodmap statements (in the startx.sh
script, I have located this in /root/.Xmodmap). This file is somewhat
long (and the Fn button doesn't work, meaning you'll have to press Shift
+Left arrow+number instead of Fn+number to enter a number), so I have
attached it to this mail.

> I'm a little annoyed at the what the dist-upgrade thing did, but I'd
> really rather fix it than reinstall, because I've had to put a lot of
> effort into getting it to work as well as it does. If it's going
> wrong, I'm going to be rather upset.

A clean install, even if it's troublesome, might be the best solution.
If you're using the image from pyneo, I don't see why you would want to
dist-upgrade (isn't the image sid?), but if you're forced to reinstall
from scratch, you could just save a list of all packages installed to a
file and then use that file when your new system is ready. Something
like this:

  dpkg-query -W --showformat="\${Package} " > backupfile

Niels