Cases ? geek stuff ? marketing !

Gerald A geraldablists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 10:21:18 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 7:16 AM, Sergey Kvachonok <ravenexp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, Nanonote doesn't really need cartridges, because space is not a
> limiting factor anymore.
> I can fit 4 times my desktop linux setup in a 16Gb SD card.

Might be true -- but probably shouldn't be the way a small form-factor
device should go.
Now, I haven't read anything about the cartridges, but if they are something
like game console cartridges, then they do have some value. It allows
developers to have an easy
to deploy (and monetize) area, and allows end-users an easy way to use them.

> As long as you are using only free software there is no reason not to
> include it
> in the distro.

While I'm a big supporter of free/open software, most people really don't
care. I think the OP is looking towards the broad market, not the thin band
of "early adopters" that will put up with tons of crap to get apps deployed
or working.
(Also, for some things, like MP3, where there is free/open software, it
would cost people more $$$ to buy it if it had it included).

> When I got mine in September it was practically bare
> metal, and included gmenu2x setup is, well, useless. Still people do
> find their ways to run their software on it, using openwrt build tools
> or debian distro or gentoo or whatever. As a device for tinkerers it's
> perfect, and should be marketed as such. It's real value is that a
> whole setup is open and simple enough to be comprehended by a single
> person, from schematics to the kernel to userspace programs, unlike
> most "open mobile platform" bloatware.
>

>From what I've read, it seems the base system is pretty good. There are some
missing components to make it something compelling, like a non-connected way
to communicate. I know there is some work on external wifi (and there may be
others), but I think that is a hurdle for some people.

It's a chicken and egg problem right now, and not easy to solve. People need
"useful" stuff (for some value of useful) to want to buy it, and it needs
people to continue to buy it to allow it to be made more "useful". A
tinkering device has a limited market -- it would be easier to sell if there
was a way to do some "useful" stuff on it. And as a tinkering device,
showing it off at FOSS meets and Hack spaces is pretty important, to make
sure it gets exposure.

I think this is a great idea, and hopefully we can get it to gain traction.
Even "Just one user at a time" ;)

Gerald