Cases ? geek stuff ? marketing !

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Wed Dec 8 15:27:59 EST 2010

Op 08-12-10 19:37, Werner Almesberger schreef:
> Christoph Pulster wrote:
>> My suggestion is to strenghten the cartridge idea as mentioned on the
>> Wiki. Ready-to-use microSD cards with self-installing applications which
>> make the "basis unit" to a Wikireader, retro gaming console, PDA etc.
>
> So how would that work ? I.e., where would be the benefit for the user,
> compared to other means of installing software ?

In the case of Iris, it would mean it could work without touching the
installed system. I can also imagine some software requiring a certain
kernel version to want to run this way. In general, anything that can't
run on the "normal" kernel can use this approach.

And also:

> Would you sell the device as a, say, Wiki reader, bundled with the Wiki
> reader "cartridge" ? There may be some benefit in this for users who
> don't want to bother with software updates and the like at all. Not
> sure if the rest of the product looks "polished" enough for such users,
> though.

Maybe not, but that's something to work on. ;-)

> Of course, you could just sell it with the Wiki reader software and
> data preinstalled. So the cartridge doesn't really seem necessary.

Some users may find it more clear if the cartridge turns their machine
into a certain device. Changing the cartridge is more intuitive than
navigating a menu.

> You'd have the update problem in both cases. If you have online
> updates, both are the same. If you offer new cartridges with updated
> content, you could indeed satisfy the needs of those supposed hardcore
> luddites, but then, are there enough of them around who'd use this ?

There're two things:
1. Updating a cardridge simply means "save these files on it". It can be
done on any computer with a card reader, and doesn't require even
setting up usbnet.
2. Supporting this is really easy: if a certian file exists on the card,
for example "kernel.bin", boot that; otherwise boot from nand.

> I doubt many users would want cartridges as a way of switching function,
> given that they could just as well have a system that had everything
> installed in parallel, without fumbling with cartridges.

If users don't want cartridges, they are of course free to not use them.
A cartridge would be like a live CD. You can install things to your
computer, or run them from a CD. Both have advantages. People who don't
like one option can simply use the other.

Thanks,
Bas