Cases ? geek stuff ? marketing !

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Wed Dec 8 16:40:54 EST 2010

>>> I prefer read notes about SW and HW development,
>> More of that would indeed be welcome.

> Talking from the sales frontier, the interest has dropped.  I suggest
> to consider much more, how to get interesting customers like
> university projects, solution providers, value added resellers (VARs).
> I am not talking about the big or fast money, but just to finance the
> project and its future.  My suggestion is to strenghten the cartridge
> idea as mentioned on the Wiki. Ready-to-use microSD cards with
> self-installing applications which make the "basis unit" to a
> Wikireader, retro gaming console, PDA etc.

I've been thinking about that and came to a similar but simpler idea:
what about a "program archive" website dedicated to sharing Nanonote
programs?

Currently people have to checkout the full open-wrt toolchain and invest
some hours of compile time before they can get any new software on their
nanonote.  And on the other side the only viable means of publishing new
ported/created software is for using this mailinglist and getting the
stuff added to official images.  This is a very huge barrier to
entrance.

During my time at the high-school I was part of the TI-92 assembly
programming community which hacked texas instruments graphing
calculators to run self-made machine code programs on them.  I think
this community was so highly productive because not only did we have a
mailinglist to share development ideas, but because there was a huge
program archive where everybody could contribute new software to.  It
was as easy as zipping a program with a short readme file, then
uploading it, with a short description via a webpage form.  Then editors
sorted it a little, sometimes added screenshots and stuff.

The website is still there and still productive: www.ticalc.org . I
really think this is a great example for how a website can enable and
support a development community.  The wiki+git-based qi-hardware.com
does currently not even come close, IMO.

Nowadays such kind of website might be called an app-store :)

For the nanonote, such software distribution could be used to distribute
non-official .ipk packages.  Though I think barrier to entrance might be
greatly reduced by getting more *scripted* programs (python/lua/tcl etc)
out there.  People would normally not bother getting such stuff into the
firmware images, but they might consider uploading it to a program
archive (for example I currently have some NanoNote Forth scripts
sitting in my SVN archive since I don't know where else to put them.
There they are just invisible to most people).

Also having this stuff readily available for others to look at and learn
From would help new-comers a lot.

Just what I'm thinking.  Getting such a programming archive up and
running will require quite a lot of work.  I know, everybody is already
very busy with the more important stuff :)

cheers,

David