3d power of Ben?

James "Xakh" Lynch superstuff7 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 03:59:35 EST 2010

For what it's worth, my openwrt ben runs Quake quite well. So I don't think
it's fair to say it has nonexistent capabilities, just limited ones.

On Dec 9, 2010 3:50 AM, "Sergey Kvachonok" <ravenexp at gmail.com> wrote:

> 3d power of Ben?

Nonexistent. No 3D hardware, no FPU, no spare video memory except
framebuffer. IPU only accelerates video conversion/scaling, not even
basic blit/fill ops. Not very good fit for realtime interactive
graphics, much less 3D.

It has SIMD processing unit (MXU), akin to MMX on early pentiums. It
does not support floating point either, but can be used to accelerate
software 3D rasterization. It's unlikely that it will ever be
supported by any mainstream opengl (mesa?) implementation. There are
MXU-optimized libjpeg and closed source mplayer plugins for xvid/h264,
but that's about it.

Regards,
Sergey

Qi Hardware Discussion List