SIE not part of QI?[was Re: New Ben Nanonote Case (Castle)]

Kristoffer Ericson kristoffer.ericson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 16:18:09 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 12:07:15PM -0500, Carlos Camargo wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, SIE is not a QI project,
> > What those it means? You auto exclude yourself from qi community?
> >

> Is the reality, Ask Wolfgang about that, he don't work on SIE SW, he was
> very clear with me, he don't provide SW people for this project, he help us
> with the manufacturing, but no more, If you see, there isn't a SW project to
> port SIE to u-boot or kernel, We've submitted some patch supporting SIE but
> not was included in the official distribution.

What/Where and who? Qi/Kernel/U-boot? Sometimes (often) u-boot patches
get "lost" in the mailinglist so you have to bug wolfgang about it (not qi-wolfgang).
And kernel people never reject a new platform unless the patch has issues (which they point out and let you fix).
So give us some info and it shouldnt be that hard to get them into vanilla kernel/u-boot.
If its not getting included in Qi distribution, then just drop us a mail and we will include it in jlime.. :)

> Yes, we've made a lot of contributions, a lot of hours working on HW
> development, but with SIE I'm alone, nobody (except Werner, Adam, Sebastien)
> reply my posts, firstly because there are a lot of SW people, we need more
> HW developers, if not we need to change the name to QI-Software.

I fully understand your viewpoint but we dont make things better by excluding
fresh new input/ideas/concepts/art from people. The real problem here is not the artwork but as you say the lack of HW people. It took me a long while to understand that screenshots/pictures get you 100x more users than specifications. And users mean more development.
>From a distributions point of view, the users keep the distro alive and I would like to think that is true for hardware also.

> I've never said that I'm out of QI - hardware, these are your words, The
> first contributions in this project was made by me, the first Nanos saled
> was to Colombia. I'm bored because we need hardware developers, we just have
> 5 developers,  2 in Colombia, Werner, Sebastien and Adam, how can we call
> our project qi-hardware with just 5 hw developers?? I want high level
> developers like Werner and Sebastien, I like to read werner posts, Adam
> posts, Sebastien posts, but I hate to read fashion posts, sorry but I don't
> join QI hardware for talk about fashion. Here in Colombia there are a lot of
> mailing list where the people just talk, talk, talk, if we want to make a
> difference we need stronger hardware developers. Because of that I don't
> like the current mailing list, I join the developer list no the current
> list, I want to talk about electronic HW/SW development, no about fashion. I
> make a lt of posts asking for I2C drivers, and never replies this mails,
> why??? In the past when I was designing SAKC I've made a lot of posts but,
> never reply. Of course if you want a mailing list for talk about fashion is
> good, but I don't join this list I subscribe the developer list.

If people dont reply and you feel they should, resend :) its annoying and usually gets their attention. Personally I rarely reply to mailinglist requests since I always think someone else will. To many with that idea will lead to no one answering. I can probably learn to answer more :)

> > supply, from my point of view is not a big deal,
> > Does that mean there was no effort done on the V3 version yet? If both
> > are true I will have to talk about the possible buyers(one of them I
> > have already present to you) to reduce his expectatives :(
> >

> You present one buyer to me? you write one mail to me in two months, I've
> replied this mail two weeks ago and you never reply it, I don't know what
> are you doing, you don't see the project files, if you download the SIE
> project you can see the changes on V3. The HW need more than one laptop to
> develop, you need to build boards, buy components, etc, only Wolfgang
> provide components to this project, you can't ask for V3 development if you
> don't reply my mails.
>
> My students write a lot of interesting pages about their projects, but
> Wolfgang think that are useless, he told to me that. So i don't make any
> posts about that because of that. I feel that the people is motivated for a
> wood case, crochet case, but think that the academic work is useless.
> Because of that I don't like to make posts.

I disagree with wolfgang on that one. Sticking with the concept I said before that
the users make the distro/machine its essential to give attention to people actually using the product. Nevermind Qi doing hardware, if they dont also show off actual users/usage they wont get far.