Cases ? geek stuff ? marketing !

Sergey Kvachonok ravenexp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 17:21:00 EST 2010

> Fast-forward to the present. OpenWRT is capable of producing
> binary packages. Even better, there is Jlime, which is based on
> OpenEmbedded and thus has a *huge* collection of packages to start
> with, plus a nicer user interface as an added bonus.
>
> One can also generate a binary cross-toolchain for the host, which
> removes the dependency on OpenWRT/OE/etc. as a means to obtain the
> cross-compiler.
>
> Furthermore, opkg-cl can install packages into the cross-development
> environment. E.g., if my program needs SDL_gfx, I can just install
> the binary libsdl-gfx-dev package on my host, and then cross-compile
> my application.
>
> There's also a system I used in my Openmoko days, called "myroot",
> which takes a set of binary packages and creates a rootfs from them.
> This made it very easy to have custom images. It shouldn't be too
> hard to adapt this system for the Ben with a package repository from
> Jlime or OpenWRT.

Gentoo does all of the above, and OpenEmbedded should be similar sans
lots of packages. End users simply emerge stuff, and it's maintainers'
responsibility to keep it working, just as with binary distros. Except
that source packages are portable so we can use huge
gentoo/openembedded/openwrt repos mostly as is, and that's LOTS of
software that can be ported to Ben with just one command by some
random guy on his laptop.

I've experienced over 50% success rate building random apps for NN
from vanilla Gentoo repo, and most breakage comes from my decision to
build uclibc based system. I guess glibc has far better support, so it
should run even smoother (and consume a few additional Mb of RAM). Not
sure if this is a good deal considering there is only 32 of them.

Regards,
Sergey