Cases ? geek stuff ? marketing !

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 04:15:28 EST 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:21:00AM +0200, Sergey Kvachonok wrote:
> > Fast-forward to the present. OpenWRT is capable of producing
> > binary packages. Even better, there is Jlime, which is based on
> > OpenEmbedded and thus has a *huge* collection of packages to start
> > with, plus a nicer user interface as an added bonus.
> >
> > One can also generate a binary cross-toolchain for the host, which
> > removes the dependency on OpenWRT/OE/etc. as a means to obtain the
> > cross-compiler.
> >
> > Furthermore, opkg-cl can install packages into the cross-development
> > environment. E.g., if my program needs SDL_gfx, I can just install
> > the binary libsdl-gfx-dev package on my host, and then cross-compile
> > my application.
> >
> > There's also a system I used in my Openmoko days, called "myroot",
> > which takes a set of binary packages and creates a rootfs from them.
> > This made it very easy to have custom images. It shouldn't be too
> > hard to adapt this system for the Ben with a package repository from
> > Jlime or OpenWRT.
>
> Gentoo does all of the above, and OpenEmbedded should be similar sans
> lots of packages. End users simply emerge stuff, and it's maintainers'
> responsibility to keep it working, just as with binary distros. Except
> that source packages are portable so we can use huge
> gentoo/openembedded/openwrt repos mostly as is, and that's LOTS of
> software that can be ported to Ben with just one command by some
> random guy on his laptop.
>
> I've experienced over 50% success rate building random apps for NN
> from vanilla Gentoo repo, and most breakage comes from my decision to
> build uclibc based system. I guess glibc has far better support, so it
> should run even smoother (and consume a few additional Mb of RAM). Not
> sure if this is a good deal considering there is only 32 of them.

I wrote 'nanonixos', which prepares ubifs images for the nanonote, and also has
a system to 'update' what is in the nanonote, instead of reflashing.

http://vicerveza.homeunix.net/~viric/cgi-bin/nanonixos

For the packages available, I'd say it has most of nixpkgs buildable for it.

It's quite in a basic state, but it is the OS I use the nanonote, and for nix
users (NixOS users specially) I bet it is far more comfortable than using OE,
OpenWRT, or anything else.

People who don't use nix are going to find that more difficult than what they
are used to do, I imagine.

Regards,
Lluís.