Taking NanoNote screenshots

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Mon Dec 13 06:15:39 EST 2010

> David,
>> http://mosquito.dyndns.tv/freesvn/trunk/dkbin/nn-fbtopng That's a Tcl
>> script, need to have tclsh in /usr/bin (most people will have it).

> Great!  Will this work for all cases (console, qt, gtk, sdl)? I
> remember reading that screenshots are not easy to take when using the
> NanoNote-specific sub-pixel fonts in the console. Does the script
> support that?

That's a good question.  I guess not.  But maybe it's not too difficult
to fix that.  What's the 2D-RGB pattern of nanonote?  (And how are fb
data sampled to the display?)  There's nothing that you cannot do with
netpbm utils :)

> Running the screenshot grabber on the desktop feels more natural to me
> than running fbgrab on the device, because then I need to switch to a
> console to run fbgrab, with a delay timer, then back to the GUI I
> wanted to take, etc. Quite fiddly.

Yeah especially when you're running an image that lacks fbgrab (does
config.minimal?).

> The Tcl script is very short and thus may not be protected under
> copyright, but can you clarify the license still? Right now it just
> says "Copyright David Kuehling". Can you add another line that puts it
> under the GPL or what you think is the best license?

Sorry, just forgot that.  Of course GPL v2 or later.

> I would like to include this script somewhere, still thinking about
> the best place. Maybe xburst-tools?  Thanks for sharing the script,
> Wolfgang

Sure, please wait a week or two for some open problems to be fixed
(execution does not wait for rawtoppm etc. sub-processes to finish which
has strange side effects).

David