Probems opening /dev/tty when running from gmenu2x

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Thu Dec 16 05:40:08 EST 2010

> Hi I fight with this issue two days. but I just don't find a good
> solution.

> any help will be great.

Ok, need to look at the gmenu2x sources to understand how program
launching works.  I think it might do some redirection of stdin/stdout
for the programs it launches, using a /pipe/.  That would be wrong,
gmenu2x needs to allocate a /pseudo-tty/ if it wants to pipe the tty
output.  The easiest solution would be to directly connect stdin/stdout
of the launched program to the foreground tty.

We might be able to workaround the issue for now by starting ash like:

 chvt 1; ash <> /dev/tty1

David