OpenWrt Image Release: 2010-12-14

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Thu Dec 16 17:11:39 EST 2010

> On 12/16/2010 06:34 PM, David Kuehling wrote:
>> Another part to optimize: top showed a line "/bin/sh
>> /usr/bin/gmenu2x".  I think we don't need the /bin/sh part.  Maybe by
>> using "exec /usr/bin/gmenu2x" in inittab, we're going to get rid of
>> the unused shell process?

> Hi David

> I think we can not get rid of it. it's like the other three 'init'.
> attached to /dev/tty1.

I misunderstood the problem.  The problem is that /usr/bin/gmenu2x is a
shell script.  So inittab is ok, as you write.  But there is still a
problem: the gmenu2x shellscript just launches the real gmenu2x
(/usr/share/gmenu2x/gmenu2x) as a sub-process, so both processes have to
co-exist in memory.  The more efficient solution would be to have

 exec /usr/share/gmenu2x/gmenu2x

as last command in /usr/bin/gmenu2x , so the executable *replaces* the
shell-script in memory.

I just tried that, unfortunately gmenu2x immediately quits when started
via 'exec'.  But only when the shell-script is running from inittab.
Strange, currently have no idea where this is coming from.

cheers,

David