Possible bug with hostname lookup

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Sat Dec 18 08:17:16 EST 2010

Hi,

I just stumbled into a problem with the Emacs package.  I made it run a
more usual start-up sequence, and now it tries to find out the fully
qualified domain-name of the NanoNote at startup.

So what it ends up is calling 'gethostbyname()' with the name
"BenNanoNote" (as set in /etc/hostname).  And this makes it dial out to
the nameserver configured in /etc/resolv.conf waiting a *long* time for
a timeout (it's not routed to the internet here).

The correct fix would be to add the line

127.0.0.1 BenNanoNote

to /etc/hosts.

Note that Ubuntu installations do the same thing.  Just changed my
/etc/hosts, and now Emacs starts up without the timeout.

cheers,

David