[Nanonote] Veni, vidi, bricked it

qnrq at pipemail.org qnrq at pipemail.org
Mon Dec 20 16:09:16 EST 2010

 The instructions provided on pyneo.org are very messy, even as an
 advanced user. One of the first steps is actually to wget
 http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/software/images/Ben_NanoNote_2GB_NAND/latest/openwrt-xburst-u-boot.bin
 which results in a 404. Xiangu told me on irc that the images had been
 moved to http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/software/images/NanoNote/Ben/
 but the latest file with a name similar to openwrt-xburst-u-boot.bin is
 called openwrt-xburst-qi_lb60-u-boot.bin. A completely different file in
 a completely new location. In all honesty, at the moment while I'm
 attempting my third Debian install I still don't have any idea whether
 the file I'm trying (openwrt-xburst-qi_lb60-u-boot.bin) is the right
 file or not - all I know is that the link provided in the instructions
 has, for unknown reasons, moved without being symlinked.

 The instructions then tell you to pick a kernel and Debian base without
 knowing the concrete differences and then you're shown a list of errors
 that may occur later in the process and not at the part of the
 instructions where they're being shown. After that the reader is
 supposed to choose between two methods of flashing without knowing the
 differences, except for the fact that the author experienced problems
 with one of them.

 In other words, the current provided instructions about getting Debian
 on the Nanonote is built on the requirement that the user must guess and
 find unavailable data before being able to process. The instructions are
 a complete mess and the fact that the files can't be properly found by
 browsing the Qi wiki makes it a slightly more interesting adventure.

 I thought that if I somehow get Debian on my Nanonote I'd write a
 shellscript that guides the user through the process in an attempt to
 make it easier for everybody. I'll try to get it done as soon as I can
 get a working installation of Debian, whenever that is :-)

 /N