How do I record sound

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Mon Dec 20 16:45:11 EST 2010

> On 12/19/2010 08:50 PM, David Kuehling wrote:
>> Recording seems to be broken on NanoNote.  Linux/hw problem?
>>
>> sox -t alsa default test.gsm stat

> (open the MIC in alsamixer)

Ok, that was the problem.  Turning up the volume does not suffice, you
have to actually _enable_ the mic by pressing the space key.

Ok, so here is the step-by-step guide:

  - Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to the terminal

  - run alsamixer

  - Press <tab> or <f4> to get to the capture settings

  - select the microphone, turn up volume using the up key, and press
    space to enable it.  The display should now look exactly like this:

    http://mosquito.dyndns.tv/david/nanonote/alsamixer.png

  - To record, type:

    rec recording.gsm

  - Playback via

    play recording.gsm

Using .ogg does not work for me.  The .gsm format should be better for
voice recording anyways.  Smaller files and lower cpu-overhead.

Maybe should add this to the wiki somewhere.

cheers,

David