[Nanonote] Veni, vidi, bricked it

Xiangfu Liu xiangfu at sharism.cc
Thu Dec 23 08:40:41 EST 2010

On 12/22/2010 03:16 AM, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 01:27:37AM +0000, Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
>> Werner,
>>
>>> What surprises me is that the Debian-style bricking appears to kill
>>> u-boot itself, which means that one then has to fiddle with the USB
>>
>> I vaguely remember there was a bug somewhere that would let usbboot
>> 'wrap around' the 4096 nand pages sometimes, and then overwrite or
>> erase nand page 0 containing u-boot.
>> I think that bug is fixed now, but with a lot of stuff pointing here
>> or there, and old versions, people may still occasionally run into
>> it.
> Still not, I think. Xiang Fu waited for me to test it, but I still have not
> found how to back up an ubifs.
> The fix made a lot of sense to me, but xiang fu did not commit it still.

Hi

the 'nerase' bug is. it always try to erase good block.
for example.
 - we want erase 8 blocks at 0.(which is bootloader partition)
 - there is one bad block at [3].
 - then 'nerase' will erase 0 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 <-- (which 9 is not what we want)

this commit[1] fix that.

BTW:
in the hardware side if we pass not correct address cpu. seems it will start from
the '0', I have test those command:
  nerase 4095 2 0 0 : erase block [4095] and [0]
  nerase 4095 3 0 0 : erase block [4095], [0], [1]

so if we have bad block in [16 ~ 4095] and we use "nerase 16 4080 0 0 "
it's will erase the bootloader, which make nanonote not boot.

I have upload a new version of xburst-tools to[2], xburst-tools_201012-1_amd64.deb
please test it.

if all goes ok. we will upload a source tar ball. and upload a new version to Debian.

thanks Lluis for report that.

-------
for backup an ubifs one idea is
1. boot from sd card
2. mount rootfs to /tmp/root
3. mkfs.ubifs base on the /tmp/root. (don't know how much time it need in nanonote :)

[1]
http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/xburst-tools/source/commit/0e92eb8/
[2]
http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/xburst-tools/downloads/61/