Making feeds.conf refer to fixed revisions

Mirko Vogt lists at nanl.de
Fri Dec 24 07:50:56 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 11:49 +0800, Xiangfu Liu wrote:
> Hi Mirko, David Kuehling

Hey Xiangfu,

> I think we should use "tag" not "branch", so basically is like this:
>
> 1. when we try to release openwrt image. make a "git tag"
> 2. copy the feeds.conf to images files, include the svn revision in this feeds.conf[1]
>    we should not add any svn revision to "master" feeds.conf,
>    (I have reverted my change on feeds.conf)
>
> I don't think we will develop a lot in "branch" then later merge back to "master".
> it split people from "master", we should stick all developers in "master".

I disagree, since a tag does not help us at all. Creating a branch fixes
everything to a particular state, so we would avoid changes to
trunk/master (of openwrt upstream as well as of openwrt-xburst)
interfering with an ongoing stable release.

I don't see how a "tag" would help us here.

For reference the mail for the last OpenWrt image I maintained with some
details:
http://lists.en.qi-hardware.com/pipermail/discussion/2010-November/006078.html

It worked quite well and fixed all occurred problems of interfering
changes (for me).

> for my understanding, "branch" mean someone will develop on that. which is not fit us for now:)
>
> [1]http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/software/images/NanoNote/Ben/2010-12-14/feeds.conf
>
> On 12/22/2010 12:18 AM, Mirko Vogt wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > any reason not to continue with branching the actual releases?
> > Like it was done with the previous release; I created branches named
> > "release_2010-11-17" of openwrt-xburst and openwrt-packages, so the the
> > tree got fixed.
> >
> > Branches can now be defined within feeds.conf(.default) as well.
> >
> > cheers

Merry Christmas!

mirko