Probems opening /dev/tty when running from gmenu2x

Alan Post alanpost at sunflowerriver.org
Sat Dec 25 12:51:41 EST 2010

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 06:48:03PM +0100, David Kuehling wrote:

> The value 1024 in the for loop closing all of the >=3 file
> > descriptors should be determined through calling getrlimit with the
> > RLIMIT_NOFILE parameter.  And if you're being extra careful, take the
> > min of 3 and the value getrlimit returns for you initial condition on
> > that loop, to prevent integer overflow while looping.  ;-)
>
> Didn't I say it's ugly :) This is what happens when programming via
> trial&error :)
>
> Hopefully there are less problems with the 3-line version I just posted.

The only suggestion I can make for that one is stylistic, in that I
most often see code that *doesn't* use this idiom.  However,
unistd.h defines STDOUT_FILENO, which you could use rather than 1.

I actually don't encounter that in the wild, much like I never
really see EXIT_SUCCESS from stdlib.h.  I personally find it easier to
remember the numbers of the standard file descriptors than I do the
define names.  I'm clearly not the only one.  :-)

-Alan
--
.i ko djuno fi le do sevzi