gmenu2x - a new menu for the nanonote

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Tue Feb 2 16:27:12 EST 2010

Cooler than Cool!!, I will try it this night
I'm preparing my Ben with all working apps out there to be able to
make live demos at fosdem.
I had some experience with this program on my wiz read my comments below.

2010/2/1 Zeartul <zeartul at gmail.com>:
> Hello everyone.
> I just made an attempt of porting gmenu2x to the nanonote.
> Gmenu2x is a graphical menu originally written for the GP2X handheld.
> You can read more about it on it's home page [1], or check the
> screenshots on google image [2].
>
> The current status of gmenu2x on the nanonote is as follows:
>
> Works:
> * the menu in general
> * you can browse the /card directory
> * you can launch programs
> * you can add new entries to the menu
> * SD card capacity detection
> Does not work (yet):
> * battery status
> * browsing of root ( / )
A symlink in the card might help here, isn't it?
> Not tested:
> * cpu overclocking (might work, as it's set to the Dingoo A320 cpu)
> * brightness control
> * volume control
Another item to my TODO ,

> So what are the pros and cons of gmenu2x on the nanonote?
>
> Advantages:
> * a graphical menu
> * fully customizable and themeable
Artist out there your time to make a cool NanoNote GUI launcher design!!!
> * an ability to launch programs with parameters
> * rom selector for emulators
> Disadvantages:
> * can't run two apps at a time
Is really a disadvantage with 32Mb of Ram... its a feature!
> * the menu scans for a certain executable format (currently .dge), so
> need to introduce one for nanonote binaries
Really it does not needed, dge files are only shell scripts ( ash in
our case), than tipically only have two lines the #!/bin/sh and the
name of the program to launch, but you can put whatever you want!
so...

> * the menu quits after it launches a selected program, so need to
> introduce some kind of a loop that can start it over
Not really, is a trick in the wiz world , just put
/wherever/gmenu/is/gmenu2x at the end of each gpe, so when the
launched program finalizes gmenu will appear again. (I will try this
this night in nanonote, but in wiz works.)

> The current button mapping on the nanonote is as follows:
> A - z
> B - x
> X - s
> Y - d
> L - q
> R - p
> SELECT - esc
> START - enter
>
> You can download the gmenu2x nanonote port from my file archive [3].
>
> The menu needs to be placed into /card/gmenu2x directory, otherwise it
> might cause problems.
What problems? I would love to be able to use the wifi card with
gmenu... well as last resource I can use /card as normal directory.