gmenu2x - a new menu for the nanonote

Zeartul zeartul at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 17:59:53 EST 2010

2010/2/2 David Reyes Samblas Martinez <david at tuxbrain.com>:
> Cooler than Cool!!, I will try it this night
> I'm preparing my Ben with all working apps out there to be able to
> make live demos at fosdem.
> I had some experience with this program on my wiz read my comments below.
>
> 2010/2/1 Zeartul <zeartul at gmail.com>:
>> Hello everyone.
>> I just made an attempt of porting gmenu2x to the nanonote.
>> Gmenu2x is a graphical menu originally written for the GP2X handheld.
>> You can read more about it on it's home page [1], or check the
>> screenshots on google image [2].
>>
>> The current status of gmenu2x on the nanonote is as follows:
>>
>> Works:
>> * the menu in general
>> * you can browse the /card directory
>> * you can launch programs
>> * you can add new entries to the menu
>> * SD card capacity detection
>> Does not work (yet):
>> * battery status
The battery status works now (haven't uploaded the fixed binary yet)
>> * browsing of root ( / )
> A symlink in the card might help here, isn't it?
I set a default path for gmenu to /card, because it needed it to show
the correct SD card capacity.
It's probably just a matter of changing it to /, but gmenu wasn't
prepared to run on nonSD filesystem, so I don't know what problems
might we encounter (and probably scanning for apps will take ages, or
might even loop on symlinks in dirs like /dev)
>> Not tested:
>> * cpu overclocking (might work, as it's set to the Dingoo A320 cpu)
>> * brightness control
>> * volume control
> Another item to my TODO ,
CPU overclocking works, but be warned that you can overclock it up to
420MHz, which probably isn't safe for the NN. Need to lower the max
avaliable clock value.

>> So what are the pros and cons of gmenu2x on the nanonote?
>>
>> Advantages:
>> * a graphical menu
>> * fully customizable and themeable
> Artist out there your time to make a cool NanoNote GUI launcher design!!!
>> * an ability to launch programs with parameters
>> * rom selector for emulators
>> Disadvantages:
>> * can't run two apps at a time
> Is really a disadvantage with 32Mb of Ram... its a feature!
>> * the menu scans for a certain executable format (currently .dge), so
>> need to introduce one for nanonote binaries
> Really it does not needed, dge files are only shell scripts ( ash in
> our case), than tipically only have two lines the #!/bin/sh and the
> name of the program to launch, but you can put whatever you want!
> so...
>
>> * the menu quits after it launches a selected program, so need to
>> introduce some kind of a loop that can start it over
> Not really, is a trick in the wiz world , just put
> /wherever/gmenu/is/gmenu2x at the end of each gpe, so when the
> launched program finalizes gmenu will appear again. (I will try this
> this night in nanonote, but in wiz works.)
No need for it. Figured out that gmenu has a "wrapper" option already,
which re-launches it after a launched program has exited :)

>> The current button mapping on the nanonote is as follows:
>> A - z
>> B - x
>> X - s
>> Y - d
>> L - q
>> R - p
>> SELECT - esc
>> START - enter
>>
>> You can download the gmenu2x nanonote port from my file archive [3].
>>
>> The menu needs to be placed into /card/gmenu2x directory, otherwise it
>> might cause problems.
> What problems? I would love to be able to use the wifi card with
> gmenu... well as last resource I can use /card as normal directory.
As said before, possible problems with symlinks, incorrect SD size
detection (would report NAND instead), slow searching for executables
times.