FOSDEM lightning talk slides was[Re: FOSDEM]

Sébastien Bourdeauducq sebastien.bourdeauducq at lekernel.net
Thu Feb 4 10:24:40 EST 2010

On Thursday 04 February 2010 13:58:47 Jon Phillips wrote:
> dudes, I started a page for our presentations at FOSDEM. Please add to
it
> with abstracts, etc.

"Drawing on examples from Shanzai Hardware from China, Arduino"
                                                      ^^^^^^^
Arduino is no good example of open hardware. It's just yet another
microcontroller evaluation board with available schematics and gerber
files. Such boards with the same availability of data have existed since
microcontrollers were invented, and manufacturers do not give a damn if
you copy them (it just makes them sell more chips!).

Regarding hardware, the only thing they got open-source-ish is the
community; all claims about technical openness are bullshit. The
proprietary AVR chip does EVERYTHING, and any competent person can design
all the rest in a mere hour or two.

Sébastien