FOSDEM lightning talk slides was[Re: FOSDEM]

Ron K. Jeffries rjeffries at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 11:53:57 EST 2010

Copyleft hardware includes (to my mind) open hardware
projects which incorporate complex silicon such as a processor
where the programming API is open, but the chip manufacturer
does not disclose detailed design at gate level.

Arduino is a good example, where multiple outfits around the
world design, manufacture and sell PCBs and kits that are
clones of Arduino, or are "shields" that plug in and add functions.

Copyleft SILICON such as MilkyMist takes openess to the gate
level.

If we believe that only the gate level Copyleft approach is valid,
it excludes a universe of open hardware projects that can
be both beneficial and FUN.

I do NOT oppose the more radical gate level copyleft,
but to my mind it is a future goal, not something with
broad practical application for a LONG time.

Reasonable people may reasonably disagree.

---
Ron K. Jeffries