FOSDEM lightning talk slides was[Re: FOSDEM]

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Feb 4 12:31:20 EST 2010

<toppost />

Anyway, there are good things that exist in arduino and shanzhai is the
point of drawing upon examples. Don't worry all, myself and Mirko know the
diff. and even nanonote is not currently 100% copyleft hardware, even though
that is our goal.

If you look at the wiki, some more of what we are talking about is magically
appearing: http://qi-hardware.com

Jon

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc> wrote:

> Sebastien,
>
> > "Drawing on examples from Shanzai Hardware from China, Arduino"
> >                                                       ^^^^^^^
> > Arduino is no good example of open hardware. It's just yet another
>
> Shanzhai is also as far from copyleft hardware as anyone can imagine.
>
> "With the recent activities in projects such as ... OpenPandora"
>
> OpenPandora hasn't opened the schematics I think, even their sources will
> only be posted after the device ships?
>
> Don't worry, it's a wiki and we will get all this non-copyleft stuff out
> :-)
> It's good that we start somewhere though, I wanted to start a copyleft
> matrix with well known projects and what really is open and what not.
> Wolfgang
>
> On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 04:24:40PM +0100, Sébastien Bourdeauducq wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 February 2010 13:58:47 Jon Phillips wrote:
> > > dudes, I started a page for our presentations at FOSDEM. Please add to
> > it
> > > with abstracts, etc.
> >
> > "Drawing on examples from Shanzai Hardware from China, Arduino"
> >                                                       ^^^^^^^
> > Arduino is no good example of open hardware. It's just yet another
> > microcontroller evaluation board with available schematics and gerber
> > files. Such boards with the same availability of data have existed since
> > microcontrollers were invented, and manufacturers do not give a damn if
> > you copy them (it just makes them sell more chips!).
> >
> > Regarding hardware, the only thing they got open-source-ish is the
> > community; all claims about technical openness are bullshit. The
> > proprietary AVR chip does EVERYTHING, and any competent person can design
> > all the rest in a mere hour or two.
> >
> > Sébastien

Jon Phillips
http://rejon.org/