Fwd: en. blah on qi-hardware

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Thu Feb 4 15:17:03 EST 2010

Jon,
OK thanks this is very helpful.

> This internationalization strategy is too much work on the wiki, I propose a
> change.

The reason that nothing has changed yet is because the Wikipedia model is
indeed a pain. I asked a few times what people knew about the status of
multilingual Mediawiki but couldn't get a good answer.

> Let's nuke it and keep the straight non-subdomain url...its too much work to
> maintain.

The system we are using now with the /ES suffixes is one of the workarounds
for lack of this feature in Mediawiki proper.
Look at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multilingual_MediaWiki

"this is needed because MediaWiki page titles play an integral role in the
Wikidata model"
Yes, totally. The system we have right now (with suffixes) requires that the
page title is always in English. That really makes any non-English content
a second class citizen.
But it seems the Wikidata/OmegaWiki development is dead? The history of that
page shows 1 edit in all of last year.
At the top, they refer to the "interlanguage links" that Wikipedia is using,
but that requires a separate database for each language, creating a support
nightmare where server configuration, accounts, templates, CSS, uploaded
files, etc. all need to be dealt with separately for each language.

> Here's the best approach I've seen that requires the least work of us:
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CcWiki:Translate

OK, using prefixes instead of suffixes.
And the page titles are localized, good!

Before we are moving in any new direction on this, can someone find out
what the official MediaWiki roadmap for multilingual wikis is? I cannot
believe that everybody has to guess by themselves which of the 5+
different ways is the one we should focus on.
I think I will ask on the mediawiki list or irc channel...
If someone knows more, please post,
Wolfgang