wiki

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Fri Feb 12 08:53:03 EST 2010

> > And some of them comming to europe right now :)
>  And some ore on their way to India too :)   Ben goes Global!

Yes! Ben goes global! :-)
It's the softest soft launch ever but we think we are ready to process
feedback, improve software, and then hopefully find more and more buyers
and contributors over time...

Just please keep expectations down - hence the super soft launch as well :-)
The Bens will arrive, will look neat and tidy. Hardware quality will be good.
But when you turn them on they will let you down somewhat. Some people will
even run into the NAND boot problem (i.e. get stuck at the OpenWrt splash
screen).
http://projects.qi-hardware.com/p/ben-nanonote/issues/29/

On the plus side - we believe we have put good seeds in place:

1) XBurst is now in upstream OpenWrt, and that also means part of automated
builds. The openwrt.org web pages don't reflect it yet, but I think when
we start shipping this will get updated too.

2) Reflashing got easier with pre-built xburst-tools and pressing the 'u'
button in u-boot. We can make it a lot easier still!
http://projects.qi-hardware.com/xburst-tools/downloads/

3) We come out with regular builds that meet key requirements such as
reproducability and version numbers inside the image (/etc/VERSION).
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/software/images/Ben_NanoNote_2GB_NAND/

4) The MySQL database behind our Indefero projects server is ready to receive
bug reports :-)
http://projects.qi-hardware.com/p/ben-nanonote/issues/create/

5) wiki works, so we have a place where we can work on documentation
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Main_Page

So with those things in place, I believe we have the right ingredients to
get out the full power of our Bens. Maybe in a few months, you turn them on
and it will be just _BOOM_ with tons of great free software and content.
We'll see. The lights are on now, no more hiding :-)

Thanks to everybody who helped so far, and anybody who considers buying
and contributing!
Wolfgang