My Walkthrough [Part 1 - Buy Ben NanoNote]

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Sat Feb 13 02:16:06 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 04:23:49PM -0800, Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
> A different opinion:
>
> We want [need] as many people to buy and use the Most Excellent (and VERY free)
> Nanonote as possible.
>
> A web site that's usable by PEOPLE who are interested in this
> fine product should not require them to abandon the [mainstream] browser
> they currently prefer.

I find it unlikely that people interested in free hardware will have IE
as their preferred browser.  This is based on nothing, though.

> Making a straight ahead site such as sharism.cc work with major browsers
> is not a big deal. [the small glitch I saw is already FIXED!]
>
> Let's not be so ultra-purist that we reject people who have not YET
> totally  accepted the free, open, libre. copyleft dogma.
>
> > Bas Wijnen schreef:
> >> I suggest dropping support for non-free browsers (IE and Safari), and
> >> adding http://validator.w3.org/ to the list[1].  If it validates, it
> >> most likely already works in all browsers except IE.

This however is still true.  If the site validates, it will work
everywhere.  If the IE support isn't tested anyway, a validating site
actually stands a bigger chance of working there than a non-validating
site.

So I'm not suggesting to make life harder for non-free browsers.  I am
suggesting to put no time in them.  Follow the standards, let them be
able to read standard sites properly.  For the most part, even IE
already does (AFAIK).

Thanks,
Bas