Milkymist 0.3 release announcement

Sébastien Bourdeauducq sebastien.bourdeauducq at lekernel.net
Thu Feb 18 08:08:32 EST 2010

It is with great excitement that I am announcing the release of Milkymist 0.3.
This release marks a significant milestone for the project: since now, it's no
longer tens of thousands of lines of code for nerds. It's also an actual
MilkDrop preset implementation, rendering good-looking visual effects that
EVERYBODY can appreciate.

But, see for yourself. If you have a Xilinx ML401 board, grab your JTAG cable
and fetch a binary kit from the usual location:
http://www.milkymist.org/downloads.html
See the wiki for setup instructions:
http://www.milkymist.org/wiki/index.php?title=Using_the_binaries_on_the_Xilinx_ML401_development_board
Put on some music, turn on random preset selection, and enjoy!

If you don't have a ML401, here is a video for you to chew on before the
Milkymist One boards are available:
http://www.vimeo.com/9531921
http://www.milkymist.org/mm03_demo.mp4

On to the technical change log of this release:
* Major TMU redesign (TMU2):
** Improved performance (2-3 times faster)
** Rectangular rendering primitive
** Bilinear texture filtering
** Texture wrapping
** Subpixel texture resolution
** New vertex format
* PFPU modified to support the new TMU vertex format
* Additional MilkDrop features in the demo firmware:
** More wave modes
** Borders
** Motion vectors (experimental)
** Texture wrapping
** Random preset chooser
** Fine-grained decay

If you want to discuss and keep instantly updated about the project, I
encourage you to come and idle in the #milkymist channel on the FreeNode IRC
network. See http://freenode.net/using_the_network.shtml.

See you there!
Sébastien
http://www.milkymist.org