Booting in the dark

Kristoffer Ericson kristoffer.ericson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 14:51:54 EST 2010

Greetings,

Ive talked some about this before, just want to make my point clear.

Splash screens are bad:
* You cannot see any output, You can therefore not get any useful information what is happening
* Writing bug reports e.g "nothing happend for 15min, I turned it off" sucks.
* People dont care about nice bootlogos if bad things happen.

Turning off kernel boot output (twisting it into serial) is bad:
* see above.

I suggest that you create a splash screen that is covering about 1/4 of the screen
(to show logo/version..). And activate the kernel output so people can see
what is happening. That way it can look "consumer-friendly" while still providing
useful information.

If serial output was as simple as connecting a cable then sure, but since it
requires soldering its not fair to the users to disclose the output and
leave them in the dark.

Ive already compiled bootloader/kernel with proper output that I use regulary
to bugtest. And for the upcoming jlime release we have already decided on
making that standard.

Best wishes
Kristoffer

--