some news about what's going on from the software part

Sam Geeraerts samgee at elmundolibre.be
Tue Feb 23 13:54:15 EST 2010

Mirko Vogt schreef:
> However there is non-free content within packages (e.g. mp3-support),
> which we aren't allowed to distribute.
>
> Finding and removing non-free parts carefully takes lot's of time and
> we're really unhappy of being forced to do so just because of software
> patents and companies which are watching out kicking somebodies ass by
> enforcing them.

When you say non-free, it seems like you're talking about patent
encumbered software here. In gNewSense, software freedom issues have
almost always to do with copyright and as far as I know we have never
had a case where software was removed because of patent claims. I'm not
saying that you mustn't remove software that could get you sued. I'm
aware that making a Free (and gratis) distro is different from selling
hardware with software pre-installed. I just ask that you make a
distinction between truly non-free software and "patent hazardous" [1]
software, so that matters don't get confusing.

While we're on the subject: what are the goals in both areas? Will the
Nanonote distro follow the free distro guidelines [2]? What (kind of)
software is to be excluded because of patents?

[1] Yes, I just made that term up. I'm sure there's a better word for it
that I can't think of right now.
[2] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html