some thoughts on SAKC

Andrés Calderón andres.calderon at emqbit.com
Sat Feb 27 15:54:17 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Carlos Camargo <cicamargoba at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would argue Milkymist, SAKC is not "either/or"
>> rather AND. Both projects are exciting and
>> each of them has tremendous potential.
> Of course, I want to use Milkymist in my courses, I think that the
> work made by Sebastien is awasome.
>

>> For controlling a robot (for example), SAKC
>> will be a great fit. And you've gotta love how
>> SAKC leverages the Nanonote development.
>
> I agree, robotics is one SAKC's target area. SAKC can use the BEN
> software, We will write the SAKC Hardware Abstraction Layer, and many
> SW and HW developers will add a lot of useful and crazy appcations.

Hi,

We see the free software-hardware model led by Qi, as something
inspirational. The convergence of projects like MilkyMist, SACK and
NanoNote  can be a source of endless developments in search of
freedom.

Perhaps the projects started outside of the core of Qi will create
uncertainty in the business model of Qi, but it will create
opportunities that have not closed model companies.

The adventure begins :)

    Andrés Calderón
    Cel:     +57 (300) 275 3666
    Email: andres.calderon at emqbit.com
    Gtalk:  andresfcalderon at gmail.com
    Web:    www.emqbit.com

>> May a thousand** flowers bloom.
>>
>> **Or more. ;)
>> ---
>

> thanks
> B Regards
>> Ron K. Jeffries
>>

>> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:21, Sébastien Bourdeauducq <
>> sebastien.bourdeauducq at lekernel.net> wrote:

>>> of
>>> Milkymist
>>>
>>> You seem to overestimate the difficulty of using it :)
>>> You can boot nommu Linux on it today - the few people I know who have a
>>> ML401
>>> have been successful at doing it. Developing drivers for your particular
>>> peripheral is like developing a driver for any other one. Furthermore,
>>> adding
>>> peripherals is easy - last August, I was giving a workshop at /tmp/lab
>>> about
>>> developing and adding simple peripherals (things like GPIO controllers and
>>> beep generators) to Milkymist, and even people with < 30 hours of FPGA
>>> programming experience were able to do it.
>>>
>>> In terms of performance, Milkymist beats Xilinx Microblaze - making it a
>>> VERY
>>> FAST softcore platform:
>>> http://lekernel.net/blog/?p=829
>>>
>>> Of course, there are still many problems - GCC sometimes crashes, software
>>> packages using old versions of GNU Autocrap won't recognize the CPU, the
>>> FDPIC
>>> executable loader is abominable (shared libraries won't work, some C++
>>> features cause problems and compiling is a bit messy because of that),
>>> some
>>> drivers (sound, HW acceleration etc.) are missing, etc. But if people put