Some feedback on How to Reflash

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 12:26:43 EST 2010

Hi,

I have some feedback on this page: http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/How_to_reflash

1. There is a small spelling mistake: sduo should be sudo (it's the
one after the apt-get command)

2. Some wording changes are needed to make it absolutely clear where
these scripts are run. Please remember that you are hoping to be
talking to lots of people who have never reflashed a device before and
the instructions need to be crystal clear. I would insert words like
"development system" and so forth. Eg:

"Boot the board into USB BOOT mode. As soon as lsusb lists a new
device, run reflash_ben.sh. This will download some pre-built images
and (re)flash the NanoNote. "

Should become:

"Boot your Nanonote into USB BOOT mode. As soon as lsusb (on your
development system) lists a new device, run reflash_ben.sh on your
development system. This will download some pre-built images and
(re)flash your NanoNote. "

A screen dump or listing showing the process so people are not
surprised would also help.

I would also change this sentence:

"After a while, you will see Please press Enter to activate this
console. on the terminal."

to:

"After a while, you will see Please press Enter to activate this
console. on your Nanonote's screen."

I would also move the "chmod +x ..." command to just after the wget
command, and make it clear that this is stuff you only have to do once
(unless setting up a new dev system for reflashing Nanonotes.)

Please see Special Edition, Using Samba for my expertise in this area.

Regards,
Richard Sharpe