Has anybody looked at XMOS

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Wed Jan 6 19:24:21 EST 2010

Ron,

> Have you looked at programmable processors from
> http://www.xmos.com/

http://www.xmos.com/legal/terms
"you agree that you will not copy, reproduce, alter, modify, create derivative
works, or publicly display any content from this site, other than..."

Qi Hardware is a COPYLEFT HARDWARE project.
I will not spend time to add more proprietary IP to our products. Not sure
anybody else from the core contributors will, but I have some doubts :-)

Our project is about removing proprietary IP and build the best copyleft hardware
devices in the world.
If you think we should look at XMOS, can you ask them the following:

*) license all source codes of their chips under GPL (Verilog/VHDL)
*) publish documentation about their chips under CC-BY-SA or GFDL
*) use only free tools to develop their chips (Fedora Electronic Lab)
*) publish documentation about production parameters and steps, testing
software and setup, under GPL or CC-BY-SA licenses so that other companies
can produce improved versions of their chips

We will probably go down the road of doing one or two FPGA boards (Xilinx) this
year as a first step towards our own copyleft ASICs. So we see the proprietary
Xilinx FPGA technology as a development platform. To me personally, as long as
the longer term goal is clear and we are moving towards copyleft ASICs I can
live with that.

What do you like about XMOS? What exactly would you want to use those chips
for? Why not Xilinx FPGAs?

Wolfgang