I got my Ben NanoNote (off-topic)

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Fri Jan 8 19:24:49 EST 2010

Bryan,

> Not to my knowledge. The open manufacturing peeps have been trying to
> stalk down Chinese-speaking "山寨廠" developers.

Have you found some?

Shanzhai IMO are mostly super opportunistic assemblers of kits that allow
easy breaking of copyrights, patents and safety standards.
The brain of this system is in Taipei - MTK is creating these kits and because
they are only kits, and it's others breaking the law, this neat little system
has allowed MTK to become the #23 semiconductor company in 2008:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor_sales_leaders_by_year

So - if you look for the brain of Shanzhai, you need to meet MTK in Taipei.
In China for the most part you find only the assembly, sales and marketing
arm.

I know we have a number of Chinese on this list, if they want to agree or
disagree with me they can :-)
A hackerspace in Shenzhen would be cool, definitely. And I'm sure we can
find existing networks of creative Chinese hackers. In fact I think we
know quite a few of them already.
Next time I'm in Shenzhen I will try to meet with Atommann, see what we can
do. In the meantime if you do find Shanzhai developers, feel free to point
them to this list or to me personally.

Wolfgang