FOSDEM

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Jan 8 20:04:51 EST 2010

Ok, I should head to brussels. I have a mounting list of meetings to
have there now, and I can do the big 1 hour talk with my Shanzhai vs
Qi Inside presentation which provides a large breakdown about Qi and
Shanzhai.

How is this? Then, Mirko could jump in on the Qi stuff and talk about
the details of it, etc...

Shanzhai vs. Qi Inside Making Legal Open Source Hardware in China

Shanzhai products, often derided as knock-off fake products, literally
means "mountain village" in Chinese. These products are sold by the
cargo ship, but massively to the large populace internal to China.
"Shanzhai" refers to the older times in China where thieves and
pirates would stockpile illegal goods high up in the mountains. Others
simply refer to Shanzhai products accessibility to everyone. With
Shanzhai, even the poor people who live on a mountain can have the
expensive famous brands.

This presentation investigates the Shanzhai technology culture in
China, analyzes its positive and negative aspects, and announces a new
legal approach to build off the best parts of Shanzhai technology.
This approach uses a mixture of Creative Commons licensing for
hardware plans, Free Software licensing for software used to run the
hardware, and open patents for the novel technological innovations. Do
you have Qi Inside your hardware?

Short (version)

Shanzhai vs. Qi Inside Making Legal Open Source Hardware in China
Shanzhai VS. Qi Inside investigates the Shanzhai technology culture in
China, analyzes its positive and negative aspects, and announces a new
legal approach to build off the best parts of Shanzhai technology.
This approach uses a mixture of Creative Commons licensing for
hardware plans, Free Software licensing for software used to run the
hardware, and open patents for the novel technological innovations. Do
you have Qi Inside your hardware?

###