SAKC board

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Sat Jan 16 00:57:14 EST 2010

Paul,

> What are the goals?
> Move the OpenRisc may be? :D

Actually we looked at OpenRISC/OpenCores a lot, and bottom line we think it's
a failure. Their big idea was to license IC designs under LGPL (notice the
'L'), and when companies produce those chips they would add proprietary IP to
sell the chip. Of course the resulting chips (for example from Beyond
Semiconductor, www.beyondsemi.com) were then still proprietary chips only
available from one manufacturer, so why not take the much more powerful ARM
or MIPS cores from established semiconductors right away...
No idea who thought this could ever work.

So speaking about open chips, we believe in the 100% copyleft approaches (GPL
not LGPL) such as Milkymist - http://www.milkymist.org - REALLY COOL STUFF! :-)

Back to the SAKC FPGA board, Carlos announced it back in December
http://lists.qi-hardware.com/pipermail/developer/2009-December/001355.html

The main goal is to provide an interface to the real world for NanoNotes,
"allowing applications in robotics, data acquisition, etc." as Carlos said.
Another goal is that we hope to make the cheapest FPGA development board
in the world.

Plus:

*) keep the design and production process totally open, using git/indefero,
wiki, this list. "Create opportunities to join and actively seek
participation" :-)

*) after the AVT2 board Carlos and Adam are currently working on, SAKC will
be the next round of getting familiar with and using KiCad, this time maybe
using Werner's fped (footprint editor), developed as part of the gta02-core
project, for the first time.

You are very welcome to start playing with the project. Download the SAKC
KiCad files, get KiCad itself to work (you probably should try to build the
latest KiCad version from source), maybe check out fped (not sure Carlos has
decided to try it out or not...)

What do you think?
Best Regards,
Wolfgang