AVT2 question

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Sat Jan 16 07:23:34 EST 2010

Ron,

> Is it correct to think of AVT2 as a super set of LB60?
> i.e. the same as EXCEPT:
>
> 1. AVT2 design is in kiCAD (Thank you Carlos & company)
> 2. AVT2 supports USB Host mode (LB60 is client only)
> 3. AVT2 has 64 MB RAM, LB60 is 32 MB

Yes, pretty much accurate. We are also trying to improve small things like
hardware un-bricking (usb boot pins), test points, all the way down to tiny
but important things like the CC-BY-SA logo on the PCB :-)
I think on the next trial run of 4 pieces we will also try to move from
2 GB NAND to 16 GB NAND (just to test whether it's a drop-in replacement).

> Assuming it takes some weeks for LB60 model to be retested
> and then flow through to end users, is your plan that next run
> of Nanonotes past these 800 be built using AVT2 design,
> which if my assumptions are correct is a conservative spin
> of the first LB60 Nanonote.

Well as Mirko explained we try to be as open-minded and ready for reality
as possible. Back in June we thought we can ship in September or so :-)
I have no problem either way. Maybe we make only 1000 or so LB60, then go
to AVT2. Maybe we make many more. It also depends on how sales are developing,
how well software progresses, how many real-life problems we run into.

For one we can only switch to AVT2 in mass-production after we also freed
production testing software. Even with a small change like the 64 MB SDRAM
chip, or bigger NAND chip, the current proprietary testing software won't
work anymore. So that's another _BIG_ task.

Personally I think Ben NanoNote will always have the current LB60 board. AVT2
is the work towards Ya NanoNote. We spent a lot of time last year collecting
ideas for Ya, all still there at
http://www.qi-hardware.com/products/ya-nanonote/
(we will transfer this over into the wiki before retiring the blog for good)

Honestly speaking I think Ya NanoNote is a quite a way out. We are totally
focused on Ben, and I think there is huge potential to get more out of the
Ben hardware with better and better software.
Let's see how it develops this year.
In parallel we continue along the other paths, AVT2/Ya, SAKC, etc.
Wolfgang