re FPGAs

Ron K. Jeffries rjeffries at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 21:34:34 EST 2010

I admit, [1] is on the border of being off-topic, but I found
it interesting because of comments about implementing CPUs in FPGA.

<snip>
At one time Xilinx offered parts with hard logic PowerPC cores, but
the CPU performance was modest and did not remain competitive over
time. Xilinx and Altera both now emphasize soft logic CPU cores
instead. These certainly work... but implementing a CPU in FPGA gates
is an awfully expensive way to get your software to run.
<snip>

[1] http://codingrelic.geekhold.com/2010/01/intel-acquiring-fpga-vendor.html

As I understand things, the SAKC Carlos is designing does NOT attempt
to implement a CPU in the FPGA, as the SAKC board includes a cheap
and powerful microcontroller.

---
Ron K. Jeffries
http://blog.eronj.com