SAKC board

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Sat Jan 16 09:12:06 EST 2010

Richard,

> I think the folks at Jennic have used OpenRISC for their Zigbee/802.14 chip.

Yes I think Jennic did quite a bit of work with OpenRISC, curious what their
plans with it are going forward. I believe this goes back to the days when
people had high hopes for opencores.org. Flextronics, Jennic, etc.
The (in)famous Glamo graphics accelerator from the Openmoko FreeRunner had an
OpenRISC core in it as well, running at 25 MHz...

Actually I shouldn't burn bridges just saying "opencores is a failure". In
fact I have never spoken personally to anyone from Jennic (UK), Beyond
Semidonductor (Slovenia), or ORSoC (Sweden). All a bit off my usual travel
paths in Asia, but if the chance comes up I'd like to talk with them and
listen. Only because we know how to compile a Linux kernel doesn't mean we
know every other part of high-tech, such as semiconductors, better than the
guys doing it for a long time...

Still at this point, I trust Sebastien Bourdeauducq, the main developer of the
Milkymist fully GPL'ed SoC, and we share the judgment that OpenCores/OpenRISC
is essentially dead, from our (copyleft) perspective.
If I interpret the news correctly Beyond Semiconductor just switched from
OpenRISC to LatticeMico cores (same as in Milkymist).

But like I said above, I'm very interested in what Jennic is doing, OpenRISC,
ZigBee, etc. Keep us posted! :-)
Wolfgang